PLEASE READ the full adoption process at www.vcas.us/AdoptionProcess.
LOST ANIMALS: If you recognize your lost animal, please reclaim them during normal business hours 9:00am – 6:00pm. Visit our Lost and Found page for tips on how to find your lost pet: www.vcas.us/LostAndFound.
- Adoption Counseling via phone is required prior to coming to the shelter to adopt a dog.
- Phone consultations are by appointment only and are scheduled only four (4) days into the future. If all appointment slots appear empty, please check back tomorrow morning when a new set of appointment slots are released.
- Please be aware of the following prior to scheduling an Adoption Counseling appointment by phone:
- ALREADY ADOPTED: Dogs you are interested in may get adopted by those who have scheduled an appointment prior to yours. In this situation we will let you know the dog has been adopted and we will cancel your appointment. NOTE: Smaller and younger dogs often have multiple interested parties.
- RECLAIMED 1: A dog you are interested in may get reclaimed by their owner after you have schedule a phone consultation. In this situation we will let you know and cancel your appointment.
- RECLAIMED 2: Dogs may also get reclaimed by their owner even if they have been adopted on-paper, but are still on our property. This scenario is very rare, but it does occur and you should be aware.
- RETURNED: If the dog you were previously interested in was adopted and then got returned, you will need to schedule another appointment. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to notify every interested party who previously scheduled an adoption counseling appointment.
- We will call you at the time of your scheduled appointment. During the counseling session we will tell you more about the dog(s) you are interested in. If everyone feels a good match will likely be made, the Adoption Counselor will schedule a time for you to come to the shelter in person to meet the dog.
- If you choose to adopt the dog after you’ve met them, you must be able to take the dog home that day as we are unable to place holds on animals. Masks/face covering are required for all on-site visits.
Adoptable Date: Appointments can be made for dogs who have an “Adoptable Date” in the future, however you will not be allowed to meet or take home that dog until that date has been reached or passed.
Please click here to schedule an Adoption Counseling session via phone (required). NOTE: If all appointment slots appear full, please check back tomorrow morning when a new set of appointment slots are released. Please remember, you can only schedule an appointment four (4) days into the future; all other dates will appear empty.