Congratulations on your new pet! This is a very exciting time for you. We have provided a number of resources to ensure your pet has the best chance for success in their new home! Please watch the POST-SURGERY video below to ensure your pet fully recovers from their spay or neuter surgery.
Animals depend on you for care and companionship. They should be with you indoors, where there can be a free exchange of love an affection. If you have a yard, be sure it is fully enclosed. If you
- Access to fresh water 24/7.
- Access to shelter 24/7.
- Food provided at least once a day. We recommend feeding twice a day; once at breakfast and once at dinner time.
- Access to a clean litter box (cats)
- Regular vet check-ups (every 12 months)
- Regular dental cleaning (every 12 months)
- Proper bedding
- Regular exercise (1-2 walks a day)
- Dogs should be on a 6-foot max length leash
- Pets must have a current pet license.
If you have other pets at home already, be sure they are spayed or neutered to help reduce animal overpopulation. Spay/neuter is also a good decision for a variety of health reasons. Contact Mercy Crusade at (805) 278-4433 to schedule your low-cost spay/neuter surgery.
- NOOTERS CLUB: List of clinics with free or low-cost spay/neuter to dogs and cats throughout the U.S.
- PetSmart Charities: PetSmart helps pet owners find local, low-cost spay and neuter clinics.
- SpayUSA: An online search tool that helps pet owners find low-cost spay and neuter clinics.
- Friends of Animals: Low-cost spay/neuter from participating veterinarians throughout the U.S.
- Lucy Pet Foundation: Free mobile neuter and spay clinics.
Low-Cost Vet Care
- Ask a Veterinarian, Now! – Connect with an online vet. (not associated with VCAS)
- PetDrug Card – Free program that will help reduce the cost of your pet’s prescription medication.
- Pet Poison Help Line – (855) 764-7661 (fee assessed)
- VetCo Clinics – Find affordable veterinary care in your area.
- Script Save WellRx Card: Discount program that helps pet owners save 60% – 80% on pet medication.