There are a number of events which could result in the possible surrender of your cherished pet. We have provided resources to assist you in helping keep your pet. If you have any questions or need help keeping your pet, please email KeepMyPet@ventura.org.
Are you staying in an abusive relationship for fear of what may happen to your pet if you leave? If so, we can help.
The County of Ventura offers resources and assistance to those facing domestic violence. Contact Ventura County’s Interface Program by dialing “211.” After arrangements have been made with the Interface Program, VCAS can place your pets in a secure and private temporary foster home if you need.
If you are a survivor of domestic violence and need immediate assistance, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at (800) 799-7233.
NEED A SAFE PLACE FOR PETS?
A Safe Place For Pets is a RedRover project with the National Link Coalition and Sheltering Animals and Families Together. This group helps secure a safe place for the pets of people abuse or domestic violence.
If you are in financial need, please use these resources. If one of these resources doesn’t pan out, continue down the list. Help is out there for you! Persistence is key!
- California Department of Social Services Assistance Dog Special Allowance (ADSA) Program: Statewide (provides monthly stipend to eligible persons who use a guide, signal, or service dog)
- Mercy Crusade’s Spay and Neuter Clinic: Oxnard (spay/neuter and vaccination assistance)
- Pet Assistance Foundation: Spay and neuter assistance for dogs, cats, and rabbits.
- Pet Orphans of Southern California: Veterinary care assistance (Van Nuys)
- The Sam Simon Foundation: Free surgery for non-orthopedic procedures. Free spay/neuter operations, including vaccinations, flea control, deworming, nail trims, and antibiotics. (Los Angeles)
- Spay Neuter Animal Network (SPAN): Spay and neuter assistance (Ventura)
- The Big Hearts Fund: For the diagnosis and treatment of canine and feline heart disease.
- Brown Dog Foundation: Prescription medication assistance.
- Animal Cancer Foundation: Financial assistance.
- Care Credit: Provides a line of credit to parents of pets in need of veterinary care.
- Companion Bridge: an online community for those with animals that require significant medical care to solicit physical, emotional, and financial assistance.
- CorgiAid: Financial assistance for Corgi and Corgi-mixes.
- Fetch a Cure: Support and assistance for pets with cancer.
- Friends of Animals: Provides assistance and certificates for low-cost spay/neuter programs.
- HandicappedPets: Support for handicapped and special needs pets.
- Harley’s Hope: services for low-income pet owners, service animals, seniors, and pets living in short-term foster care.
- Hearts United for Animals: Provides low cost spay/neuter services, provides temporary housing for animals of families fleeing domestic violence. and assists with veterinary expenses. Dogs and cats who cannot be placed due to medical or behavioral issues stay with us forever as Sanctuary Sweethearts.
- Land of Pure Gold Foundation: financial aid for Working Dogs, Assistance, Detection, Search & Rescue, Enforcement, Military and Animal-Assisted Therapy Dogs, who have been diagnosed with cancer.
- Magic Bullet Fund: cancer treatment financial assistance.
- The Mosby Fund: Assistance for cancer treatment, spay/neuter and critical care.
- The Onyx & Breezy Foundation: Assistance with spay/neuter, food, and medicine.
- Paws 4 A Cure: Provides assistance with veterinary care for all illnesses and injury treatment which also includes medication, insulin, heart-worm positive treatment and medical equipment such as wheelchairs.
- The Perseus Foundation: support for pets diagnosed with cancer
- The Pet Fund: Veterinary car assistance.
- Pets of the Homeless: Pet food and veterinary care assistance for homeless residents.
- Pit Bull Rescue Central: resource for owners and caretakers of American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and any mixes thereof.
- The Riedel & Cody Fund: for pets suffering with cancer.
- RedRover Relief: Veterinary care assistance.
- Rose’s Fund: Financial pet assistance.
- Special Needs Dobermans: Financial assistance for senior and special needs Doberman Pinschers.
- Tipper & Squirt Care for Cushings Fund: financial assistance for families struggling to pay medical care costs associated with Cushing’s disease.
- Top Dog Foundation “Bentley Grant”: Senior dog assistance.