Welcome, Foster Parents!
This resource page has been created to help you on your foster journey. Please watch and read all mandatory materials below, then request to join our private VCAS Foster Facebook page. This page is only open to VCAS team members including staff and volunteers. If you do not have Facebook, please create an account so you have access to this essential page. Please be sure to answer the mandatory questions when you request to join. Approval and access will be granted shortly. The Foster Facebook page is a wonderful support system for all foster parents!
Foster Coordinator’s Cell: (805) 336-5277 (private line)
- Call or text between 9:00am – 6:00pm. Please do not call or text after-hours unless it is an emergency.
- Call (do not text) anytime in the case of an EMERGENCY.
- This is a private line for VCAS Foster Parents only. Please do not share it.
Foster Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Shelter Line: (805) 388-4341
- Call this number in case of an emergency if you cannot reach the Foster Care Coordinator on the cell phone.
- If you are calling this number after-hours, please select OPTION 4.
Schedule An Appointment
CLICK HERE to schedule appointments for any of the following services:
- Healthy Foster Pediatric Re-ckeck/Vaccine Updates
- Foster Vet Office Drop-Off Appointment
- Foster Tele-Health Appointment
Marketing & Adoptions
Foster Marketing Guide (PDF) – This resource has all the information you need to know about marketing and adoption counseling for your foster animals.
AdoptMeApp – This is a great way to get your foster pet seen! Please download this app today and begin updating your foster pets’ “Adopt Me Diary”. All AdoptMeApp diary entries are published on the AdoptMeVenturaCA Twitter feed which automatically updates with new diary entries!
Bringing your new foster dog home.
- VCAS Dog Foster Manual (PDF)
- VCAS Puppy Foster Manual (PDF)
- VCAS Foster Dogs most in need of Foster (Trello webpage)
- 10 Tips for Successfully Fostering a Dog (Hope2K9 Foundation)
- Bring Home Your Fearful Foster Dog (YouTube) Mandatory viewing for fearful foster dogs.
- Decompression Tips for Your New Foster Dog (YouTube) Mandatory
- Maddie’s Foster Flash Classes (Maddie’s Fund)
Safety & Behavior
- Behavior issues: Aggression (ASPCA)
- Bite Prevention (ASPCA)
- Introducing your SHY/FEARFUL foster dog to strangers. (YouTube) MANDATORY for fearful foster dogs
- Introducing your foster dog to strangers #1 (YouTube) MANDATORY
- Introducing your foster dog to strangers #2 (YouTube) MANDATORY
- Kids and dogs (YouTube) MANDATORY even if there are no kinds in your home.
- How to safely introduce dogs. (Best Friends) MANDATORY if you have dogs at your home.
- How to safely introduce dogs. (YouTube) MANDATORY if you have dogs at your home.
- How to introduce your foster dog to cats in the home (YouTube) MANDATORY if you have cats at your home.
- Common behavior issues (ASPCA)
- Muzzle conditioning (YouTube)
- Leash Reactivity Series: VIDEO #1, VIDEO #2, VIDEO #3, VIDEO #4, VIDEO #5, VIDEO #6, VIDEO #7
- Medical Appointments – For all non-surgical vet office appointments
- Spay/Neuter Appointments – ONLINE SCHEDULING NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE due to COVID-19 restrictions. We are asking kitten foster parens to contact the foster care coordinator as soon as your kittens reach 1.5 pounds. See complete instructions here.
- Foster Matchmaking Appointment – For meeting a new potential foster animal (adult dogs and cats)
Marketing Your Foster Dog
“Effective Dog Marketing for Adoption”
by Maddie’s Fund
Although this video is geared toward finding homes for dogs in a shelter setting, the information is spot on! Use the AdoptMeApp to upload photos of your foster dog. When your dog’s profile becomes active on the VCAS website, all of the photos you’ve taken will be waiting in their diary!
Foster Marketing Guide (PDF)