UPDATE: Due to COVID-19 and the temporary closure of the Camarillo Animal Shelter, the adoption process for rabbits has changed. If you are interested in adopting a rabbit, please email the Bunny Brigade directly at VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com. Due to the closure, the VCAS Bunny Brigade is unable to offer any other services (i.e., nail trims, grooming, hay sales) until further notice. Please email the Bunny Brigade if you would like a referral for any of the services normally provided. - VCAS Bunny Brigade 🐰
The VCAS Bunny Brigade is an all-volunteer-run organization that provides care and enrichment for all rabbits brought into Ventura County Animal Services. The Bunny Brigade works to place VCAS rabbits in loving forever homes, educates the public regarding proper rabbit care, raises funds for medical treatments and supplies, and promotes rabbit welfare and spaying/neutering throughout the county.
|Tuesday||1:00pm – 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||2:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Thursday||4:00pm – 5:30pm|
|Friday||4:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Saturday||11:00am – 4:00pm|
|Sunday||11:00am – 4:00pm|
- Learn about the rabbits. Stop by the Camarillo Adoption Center during bunny adoption hours to complete an adoption application and speak with a VCAS Bunny Brigade Adoption Counselor to help you determine if a rabbit is the right fit for your home. Rabbits are an 8-12-year commitment and adding a rabbit to your family should be given plenty of thought and consideration. Watch this informative video BEFORE you go shopping for your new rabbit…
- Visit with the rabbits. Bring everyone in the family/household when planning to adopt a rabbit. Plan to spend 1-2 hours meeting our shelter rabbits and going through the adoption counseling process. Each bunny has a unique personality and VCAS Bunny Brigade works diligently to find the best fit for your whole family. Please bring photographs and/or video showing your bunny housing/setup. If you are looking for a companion for your current rabbit, you can schedule a bunny date with the VCAS Bunny Brigade to help find the perfect match.
- Adopt. Once you have determined that a rabbit is a good fit for your home, ask yourself if you are ready to commit to providing daily love and care for the next 8-12 years. Be sure to watch the video above or consult us when purchasing all the necessary supplies your new rabbit will need. The adoption fee is $50, and each rabbit is spayed/neutered prior to adoption. Your bunny will also be eligible for a free wellness visit with a rabbit savvy veterinarian and will receive a free bag of hay and a chewable grass mat upon adoption!
·Diet: https://www.facebook.com/notes/vcas-bunny-brigade/feeding-your-rabbit/227318384101788. ·Housing: https://www.facebook.com/notes/vcas-bunny-brigade/living-arrangements/1346940155472933/ ·The Importance of Spaying and Neutering: https://www.facebook.com/notes/vcas-bunny-brigade/spaying-and-neutering/1346759152157700/
“I cannot keep my rabbit!” If you live in areas serviced by VCAS and have been unsuccessful in rehoming your bunny, you can contact KeepMyPet@ventura.org for additional support or to schedule a time and day to bring in your bunny. The fee to relinquish a rabbit is $45 if they are spayed or neutered and $110 if they are not. We do not euthanize rabbits for space or length-of-stay, but please know it may take a while to find the right home for them. PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE YOUR RABBIT INTO THE WILD. They are not wild rabbits and will not know how to survive on their own.
Other services provided by the VCAS Bunny Brigade:
- Fresh Timothy and Orchard hay for sale ($5 per bag)
- Bunny Store where you can buy rabbit toys, treats, supplements, food and supplies (open during bunny adoption hours).
- Nail Trims ($5 per bunny)
- Grooming ($5-$10 bunny)
- Bunny Dates – Bunnies participating in Bunny Dates must be spayed/neutered and in good health. (Must schedule Bunny Dates beforehand by emailing the VCAS Bunny Brigade at
- Bunny Savvy Veterinarian Recommendations
- Bunny Sitting and Boarding Recommendations
For information regarding VCAS rabbits, please email email@example.com!