The VCAS Bunny Brigade is an all-volunteer-run organization that provides care and enrichment for all rabbits brought into Ventura County Animal Services. The Bunny Brigade works to place VCAS rabbits in loving, forever homes. They educate the public regarding proper rabbit care, raise funds for medical treatments and supplies, and promote rabbit welfare and spaying/neutering throughout the county.
resuming 7/11/21 during normal shelter hours. $5.00/flake. are by appointment only. Please email for more information on adopting. Nail trims and grooming services are suspended until further notice. Please email us for off-site recommendations. Bunny dates are by appointment only. Please email for information on setting up a bunny date.
|Wednesday||3:00pm – 6:00pm|
Please email for availability
|Friday||4:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Saturday||1:00pm – 4:00pm|
|Sunday||2:00pm – 4:00pm|
Rabbit Adoption Process:
- LEARN about rabbits. Rabbits are an 8-12-year commitment and adding a rabbit to your family should be given plenty of thought and consideration. Watch this informative video BEFORE you bring a bunny home.
- SUBMIT Adoption Application. Tap/click here to submit an adoption application for review by the Bunny Brigade. Please allow 24-72 hours for review. You will receive an email from the Bunny Brigade (VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com) after your application is received. We will work with you to ensure you understand: rabbit care, proper supplies, and discuss whether a rabbit is the right fit for you and your family, as well as other pets you may have. If you are looking for a companion for your current rabbit, you can schedule a bunny date with the VCAS Bunny Brigade to help find the perfect match.
- SCHEDULE an appointment. Due to COVID-19, all rabbit adoptions are done by appointment only. Once your application is submitted and approved, the Bunny Brigade will work with you to schedule a time to come to the shelter and meet rabbits.
- VISIT with the rabbits. Bring everyone in the family/household when planning to adopt a rabbit. Plan to spend 1-2 hours meeting our shelter rabbits and going through the adoption counseling process. You will have an opportunity to ask questions of our trained adoption counselors and learn how to handle rabbits safely and properly. Each bunny has a unique personality and the VCAS Bunny Brigade works diligently to find the best fit for your whole family.
- ADOPT. Once you have determined that a rabbit is a good fit for your home, it’s time to pick your new best friend and take them home! The adoption fee is $50, and each rabbit is spayed/neutered prior to adoption. Your bunny will also be eligible for a free wellness visit with a rabbit-savvy veterinarian and will receive a free bag of hay and a chewable grass mat upon adoption!
Surrender - Don't Abandon, please!
ALERT – PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE YOUR RABBIT INTO THE WILD. They are domestic and will not survive on their own.
If you cannot keep your rabbit, try finding them a home on your own. Make a flyer and advertise on Facebook, Instagram, Next Door and Craig’s List. Ask your veterinarian if they can post a flyer in their office or on their social media channels on your behalf. When re-homing an animal, charge a small adoption fee to dissuade those with ill intentions as some bunnies may be sought out as food for reptiles, birds of prey, or even humans. We strongly advise screening and educating to ensure your rabbit gets a loving, safe, indoor home with proper care. Helpful information is readily available on a variety of subjects, such as diet, housing, and the Importance of Spaying and Neutering.
If you were unsuccessful in re-homing your rabbit and you live in areas serviced by Ventura County Animal Services, please email KeepMyPet@ventura.org for additional support or to schedule a time and day (based on space and availability) to bring in the bunny. There is a $45 – $110 fee per rabbit to relinquish an owned rabbit. We do not euthanize rabbits for space, but please know it can take a while to find the right home for them.
Other services provided by the VCAS Bunny Brigade:
Due to COVID-19, some or all additional services may not be available. Please email VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com before coming to the shelter. If services are not available, the VCAS Bunny Brigade can make recommendations.
- Fresh Timothy and Orchard hay for sale ($5 per bag)
- Bunny Store where you can buy rabbit toys, treats, supplements, food and supplies (open during bunny adoption hours)
- Nail Trims- please email for recommendations
- Grooming- please email for recommendations
- Bunny Dates – Bunnies participating in Bunny Dates must be spayed/neutered and in good health. (Must schedule Bunny Dates beforehand by emailing the VCAS Bunny Brigade at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Bunny Savvy Veterinarian Recommendations
- Bunny Sitting and Boarding Recommendations