UPDATE: Due to COVID-19, the adoption process for rabbits has changed. If you are interested in adopting a rabbit or are interested in other services like nail trims, grooming, and hay sales, please email the Bunny Brigade at VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com.
– Thank you, VCAS Bunny Brigade.
The VCAS Bunny Brigade is an all-volunteer-run organization that provides care and enrichment for all rabbits brought into Ventura County Animal Services. The Bunny Brigade works to place VCAS rabbits in loving forever homes, educates the public regarding proper rabbit care, raises funds for medical treatments and supplies, and promotes rabbit welfare and spaying/neutering throughout the county.
- Learn about rabbits. Rabbits are an 8-12-year commitment and adding a rabbit to your family should be given plenty of thought and consideration. Watch this informative video BEFORE you bring a bunny home.
- Schedule an appointment. Due to COVID-19, all rabbit adoptions are done by appointment only. Please email to schedule an appointment: VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com
- Visit with the rabbits. Bring everyone in the family/household when planning to adopt a rabbit. Plan to spend 1-2 hours meeting our shelter rabbits and going through the adoption counseling process. Each bunny has a unique personality and VCAS Bunny Brigade works diligently to find the best fit for your whole family. Please bring photographs and/or video showing your bunny housing/setup. If you are looking for a companion for your current rabbit, you can schedule a bunny date with the VCAS Bunny Brigade to help find the perfect match.
- Adopt. Once you have determined that a rabbit is a good fit for your home, ask yourself if you are ready to commit to providing daily love and care for the next 8-12 years. Be sure to watch the video above or consult us when purchasing all the necessary supplies your new rabbit will need. The adoption fee is $50, and each rabbit is spayed/neutered prior to adoption. Your bunny will also be eligible for a free wellness visit with a rabbit savvy veterinarian and will receive a free bag of hay and a chewable grass mat upon adoption!
|Tuesday||1:00pm – 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||2:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Thursday||4:00pm – 5:30pm|
|Friday||4:00pm – 6:00pm|
|Saturday||11:00am – 4:00pm|
|Sunday||11:00am – 4:00pm|
ALERT – PLEASE DO NOT RELEASE YOUR RABBIT INTO THE WILD. They are domestic and will not survive on their own.
If you cannot keep your rabbit, try finding them a home on your own. Make a flyer and advertise on Facebook, Instagram, Next Door and Craig’s List. Ask your veterinarian if they can post a flyer in their office or on their social media channels on your behalf. When re-homing an animal, charge a small adoption fee to dissuade those with ill intentions as some bunnies may be sought out as food for reptiles, birds of prey, or even humans. We strongly advise screening and educating to ensure your rabbit gets a loving, safe, indoor home with proper care. Helpful information is readily available on a variety of subjects, such as diet, housing, and the Importance of Spaying and Neutering.
If you were unsuccessful in re-homing your rabbit and you live in areas serviced by Ventura County Animal Services, please email KeepMyPet@ventura.org for additional support or to schedule a time and day (based on space and availability) to bring in the bunny. There is a $45 – $110 fee per rabbit to relinquish an owned rabbit. We do not euthanize rabbits for space, but please know it can take a while to find the right home for them.
Other services provided by the VCAS Bunny Brigade:
Due to COVID-19, some or all additional services may not be available. Please email VCASBunnyBrigade@gmail.com before coming to the shelter. If services are not available, the VCAS Bunny Brigade can make recommendations.
- Fresh Timothy and Orchard hay for sale ($5 per bag)
- Bunny Store where you can buy rabbit toys, treats, supplements, food and supplies (open during bunny adoption hours).
- Nail Trims ($5 per bunny)
- Grooming ($5-$10 bunny)
- Bunny Dates – Bunnies participating in Bunny Dates must be spayed/neutered and in good health. (Must schedule Bunny Dates beforehand by emailing the VCAS Bunny Brigade at email@example.com.)
- Bunny Savvy Veterinarian Recommendations
- Bunny Sitting and Boarding Recommendations