Volunteers play a very important role of Ventura County Animal Services. Not only do they share our love of animals, they assist our staff with the care, comfort and promotion of the animals in our shelters. We have numerous programs for volunteers aged from 13 and up, so if you love animals we would love your help! See below for a list and brief descriptions of our volunteer programs.
ADULT VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
- Promote animal adoptions
- Assist with animal care in VCAS kennels
- Groom and socialize animals
- Foster animals in their own homes
- Raise funds for the animals
- Participate in animal enrichment programs
- Help out at events and with special projects
- Educate the public about animal welfare and encourage people to provide forever homes to animals in need!
We even have specialized groups for people who love certain types of animals!
- Call yourself a cat fancier? Join the Callaway Cat Group.
- Do you love dogs? Become a part of our Dog Squad and/or Pit Crew.
- Are bunnies your thing? Join the Bunny Brigade.
- Of course, if you love all things furry or fuzzy, we will utilize your help where it is needed most!
- Must love animals!
- Must be at least 18 years old (For info on our youth volunteer programs keep reading!)
- Complete a volunteer application and then attend orientation
Click here to complete and ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Junior Volunteer program: 16 – 17 years old
Young adults aged 16 and 17 are eligible to become a Junior Volunteer. Junior Volunteers are able to work independent of their parent or legal guardian after a minimum of 20 hours of service with their parent.. Junior Volunteers can participate in almost any on-site program that a basic adult volunteer can, including:
- Shelter Support
- Special Events
- Office Help
- Marketing & Social Media Support
- Bunny Brigade
- Callaway Cats
- Dog Squad
Both the parent/legal guardian and the Junior Volunteer MUST submit volunteer applications AND attend the initial orientation as well as any subsequent training classes required for their chosen position. If you are interested in becoming a Junior Volunteer please fill out a JUNIOR VOLUNTEER APPLICATION and have your parent fill out the ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION then register for one of our available orientations.
Please note: At this time Junior Volunteers CANNOT volunteer at the Simi Valley shelter location unless accompanied by their parent volunteer.
VolunTEEN program: 13 – 15 Years old
Youth between the ages of 13 and 15 are eligible to volunteer alongside a parent or legal guardian who is also a volunteer as part of our VolunTEEN Program. VolunTEENs are able to participate in many of our regular programs including:
- select Shelter Support activities
- Special Events
- Bunny Brigade
- select Callaway Cats programs
- select Dog Squad programs
The parent/legal guardian and VolunTEEN will work as a team and the adult will be responsible for handling all animals. The teen cannot be left alone with any animal at any point in time. Both the parent/legal guardian and teen must submit volunteer applications and are responsible for attending the initial orientation, as well as any subsequent training classes required for their chosen position. If you are interested in becoming a VolunTEEN please fill out a VOLUNTEEN APPLICATION and have your parent fill out the ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION then register for one of our VolunTEEN orientations.
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION NIGHTS
Please join us to learn more about YOU can help the shelter animals! You will find out exactly what volunteers do at the shelter and the different programs in which you can participate. Volunteer Information Nights are held on the Fourth Wednesday of each month from 6:30 - 7:30 pm at the Camarillo Shelter located at 600 Aviation Drive, in the Camarillo Airport.
- December 28, 2016
- January 25, 2017
- February 22, 2017
- March 22, 2017
Existing Volunteer VicNet Sign in