LOST PET TIPS:
If you have lost an animal, PLEASE TRY NOT TO WORRY. Relax, and follow these steps.
1) As soon as you can, come to the shelter and tell us you lost an animal, only then can we take you to every possible room with animals (some of our rooms are closed to the public). Online pictures can sometimes be deceiving so look around personally. If your animal is not here on your first visit, don't give up! Someone may actually have your pet at their home while trying to find you, only to bring it to the shelter days, weeks, or even months later.
2) Search our Animals online but we recommend coming into the shelter every 3 days in the beginning of your search.
***Lost a Cat? Visit www.lostmykitty.com***
3) Advertising: Create a flyer (visit www.petbond.com/flyerentry.php for a FREE online flyer-creator) Get a large, colorful poster board. Write "LOST DOG" (or CAT, RABBIT...etc) on it and stake in your front yard, around the neighborhood, at local veterinary clinics and pet supply outlets. You can also place an ad in your local newspaper. Use window paint and put "LOST CAT" (with pet description) on your car's side windows, a driving billboard gets a ton of attention. Follow our new twitter feed: @VCLOSTPETS, where stray animals are uploaded, automatically, as soon as they come in.
5) LOST REPORT: Complete a lost pet report at www.PetHarbor.com and receive instant email notifications if your pet comes into our shelter or is found by a good samaritan.
6) You can also report your pet as lost on our new Smartphone App. The app will also push notifications directly to your phone when a pet matching your description enters our facilities. However, if your pet is a labeled a certain breed by VCAS staff members, but in fact, your pet is a different breed, you will not receive an automatic alert. It's always best to come to the shelter and look around personally.
7) Search Facebook's Missing Pets pages: Camarillo Missing Pets, Oxnard Missing Pets, Simi Valley Missing Pets, Ventura County Missing Pets etc. These pages are run by extremely devoted community members and have been successful in reunited many, many pets!
8) Find more, comprehensive and innovative lost pets tips at: www.missingpetpartnership.org, they offer a wealth of information!
9) We have partnered with Finding Rover. Download this smartphone app that utilizes facial recognition software that will help match your pet's face to other scanned faces in our database. All you need is a face picture of your pet!
Here's the link for our lost pet tips posted on our website for easy reference: www.vcas.us/images/pdf/Pet%20Search%20Checklist.pdf
Best of luck. Please let us know how else we can assist you!
MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!