If you have lost an animal, PLEASE DO NOT PANIC. Relax, and follow these steps. Please know that, although we are dedicated to the welfare and reunion of lost pets, Ventura County Animal Services will not be able to look for your lost pet. It is up to you. We can only provide you with the resources.
Come to the shelter and tell us you lost an animal. We will escort you to our "New Arrivals" room. Online pictures can sometimes be deceiving so look around personally. If your animal is not here on your first visit, don't give up! Someone may actually have your pet at their home while trying to find you, only to bring it to the shelter days, weeks, or even months later.
TOP 10 STEPS TO HELP FIND YOUR LOST PET:
1) Search our Animals online (www.vcas.us/pets) but we recommend coming into the shelter every 3 days especially in the beginning of your search.
2) Follow our @VCLostPets Twitter page where stray animals are uploaded automatically as soon as they come in. (Due to circumstances beyond our control, this feature is temporarily down.)
3) Next Door: Post lost pet information on your local www.NextDoor.com neighborhood.
4) Create a flyer: Visit www.petbond.com/flyerentry.php for a FREE online flyer-creator). Also get a large, colorful poster board. Write "LOST DOG" (or CAT, RABBIT...etc) on it and stake in your front yard.
5) Advertising: You can also place an ad in your local newspaper. Use window paint and put "LOST CAT" (with pet description) on your car's side windows, a driving billboard gets a lot of attention.
6) Unfortunately some pets are killed on the streets and are brought to the shelter. VCAS publishes a list of deceased animals which is updated daily. Click here to view a list of deceased animals.
7) Visit other shelters in Ventura County to look for your lost pet: Humane Society of Ventura County and Santa Paula Animal Rescue Center (S.P.A.R.C.)
8) Download our VCAS Smartphone app. Our app refreshes every 30 minutes with newly impounded animals. Swipe right to search by breed, species, color...etc.
9) LOST REPORT: Fill out a lost pet report at www.PetHarbor.com and receive instant email notifications if your pet comes into our shelter or is found by a good samaritan.
10) Post your lost pet on the appropriate Missing Pet page on Facebook:
These pages are run by extremely devoted community members and have been successful in reunited many, many pets!
• Camarillo Missing Pets
• Fillmore Missing Pets
• Moorpark Missing Pets
• Ojai Missing Pets
• Oxnard Missing Pets
• Port Hueneme Missing Pets
• Simi Valley Missing Cats (cats only)
• Simi Valley Missing Pets
• Somis Missing Pets
• Ventura County Missing Pets
Find more, comprehensive and innovative lost pets tips at: www.missingpetpartnership.org, they offer a wealth of information!
We have partnered with Finding Rover. Download their smartphone app that utilizes facial recognition software that will help match your pet's face to other scanned faces in our database. All you need is a face picture of your pet!
***Lost a Dog? Visit www.LostDogVenturaCounty.com***
***Lost a Cat? Visit www.LostCatVenturaCounty.com***
***Lost a Cat? Visit www.lostmykitty.com***
Please let us know how else we can assist you!
MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!