The animal you just found has a owner who is looking for them. Follow these steps:
1) Immediately have the pet scanned for a microchip implant. You can have them scanned at a vet hospital or the animal shelter.
2) Post the pet's picture (and your contact info) on the appropriate Facebook MISSING PET PAGE:
3) Post the pet on Next Door: Post the pet's picture and information in your local www.NextDoor.com neighborhood. Download the Next Door app on Google Play or the App Store.
4) If you decide to hold onto the animal PLEASE make an effort to locate the owner. You cannot legally give the animal to a "rescue" or other third party until you've tried to locate the owner for at least 30 days. Place a "Found Animal" ad in the local newspaper, fill out a Found Report at either or both of our facilities, notify the Humane Society of Ventura County and post signs in the neighborhood where you found the animal.
5) If you decide to bring the animal to the shelter, we'll hold him/her for 5 days. If the owner does not reclaim the animal, you may be able to adopt the pet yourself ahead of everyone else there. If you are not at the shelter the day and hour the animal becomes available for adoption, they will be made available to the general public for adoption.
Craigs List - Search and post your pet's info in "Lost/Found" and "Pets" sections.
Pet Harbor.com - Search for your pet in area shelter listings and report your pet as "lost" using their online feature - Be sure to upload a photo of your pet. If someone finds a pet matching your animal's description or if a shelter receives a similar pet, you will be notified via email.
Twitter - Visit our automated Twitter feed to see all stray animals that come into our shelter: @VCLostPets.
Facebook: Look for local lost pet pages, such as Camarillo Missing Pets and Simi Valley Missing Pets.
Post and search daily! It may take days or weeks for finders to post found animals online.
We have partnered with Finding Rover. Download this smartphone app that utilizes facial recognition software that will help match your pet's face to other scanned faces in our database. Follow the steps on the app when prompted.
HOPE: This is the most important tip - DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE! Many pets are recovered weeks, or even months, after they go missing!