Volunteers play a crucial role here at Ventura County Animal Services. Not only do they share our love of animals, they assist our staff with the care, comfort and promotion of our animals. We have numerous programs for volunteers aged from 13 and up, so if you love animals, we would love your help!
Steps to Volunteer:
1) Click here to complete an Adult Volunteer Application (ages 18+)
2) Click here to complete a Junior Volunteer Application (ages 16-17) **
3) Click here to complete a VolunTEEN Application (ages 13-16) **
** Parents and guardians MUST accompany your youth during all visits to the shelter. Minors may never be unattended or be dropped off for any volunteer activity both onsite and offsite.
4) Click here to sign up for the next available Orientation & Training after you have completed an online applications for all parties.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1) Can I volunteer at the Simi Valley Animal Shelter, too?
Yes, but you will need to attend Orientation & Training and all animal handling classes here at the Camarillo Animal Shelter.
2) When/how can I sign up for animal handling classes?
After you have completed Orientation & Training, you will be shown how and where to sign up with a Volunteer Mentor for animal handling classes.
3) Is there a minimum amount of time that I need to volunteer?
No. But we do suggest volunteering once a week. Choose a day/time and make it part of your week.
4) Is there a maximum amount of time that I can volunteer?
5) When can I volunteer?
7:00am - 7:00pm every day of the week including holidays and closed days.
6) What will I learn at Orientation & Training?
Orientation is 50 minutes and is a brief introduction to shelter life. The training afterwards is about 1.5 hours and is mostly outdoors. This training will show you many things you can do without handling animals yet.
- Help promote animal to find them a permanent home.
- Assist with animal care in our kennels
- Socialize our pets
- Foster our pets in your home. (Learn more at www.vcas.us/foster)
- Find a family to foster a pet temporarily
- Organize a fundraiser for the shelter (VCAS has a 501(c)(3) non-profit Foundation called "Friends of VCAS")
- Participate in animal enrichment programs
- Help out at events and with special projects
- Educate the public about animal welfare
- We even have specialized groups for people who love certain types of animals:
- Must love animals!
- Must want to make a positive difference in the lives of our animals.
Click here to complete and ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION
Junior Volunteer program: 16 – 17 years old
Junior Volunteers can volunteer on-site with a legal parent/guardian. They can participate in almost any on-site program that a basic adult volunteer can, including:
- Shelter Support
- Special Events
- Office Help
- Marketing & Social Media
- Bunny Brigade
- Callaway Cats
- Dog Squad/Pit Crew
Both the parent/legal guardian and the Junior Volunteer MUST submit volunteer applications AND attend orientation/trainings. If you are interested in becoming a Junior Volunteer please fill out a JUNIOR VOLUNTEER APPLICATION and have your parent fill out the ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION then register for one of our available orientations.
Note: Junior Volunteers CANNOT volunteer without their parent/guardian volunteer.
VolunTEEN program: 13 – 15 Years old
Youth between the ages of 13 and 15 are eligible to volunteer alongside a parent or legal guardian who is also a volunteer as part of our VolunTEEN Program. VolunTEENs are able to participate in many of our regular programs including:
- Select Shelter Support activities
- Special Events
- Bunny Brigade
- Select Callaway Cats programs
- Select Dog Squad programs
The parent/legal guardian and VolunTEEN will work as a team and the adult will be responsible for handling all animals. The teen cannot be left alone with any animal at any point in time. Both the parent/legal guardian and teen must submit volunteer applications and are responsible for attending the initial orientation, as well as any subsequent training classes required for their chosen position. If you are interested in becoming a VolunTEEN please fill out a VOLUNTEEN APPLICATION and have your parent fill out the ADULT VOLUNTEER APPLICATION then register for one of our VolunTEEN orientations.
Already a Volunteer? Sign In Here (VicNet)